Asthma is a common long-term medical condition in children, that can prove fatal without appropriate management.
Suffolk County Council are planning to implement the Asthma Friendly Schools initiative, to help meet the national standards specified in the National Bundle of Care for Children and Young People with Asthma. The aim is to help schools manage an asthma exacerbation and helps to prevent avoidable harm to children with asthma. Here are the requirements for meeting the standards for “The Asthma Friendly Schools”:
- The school must have an up-to-date asthma policy.
- The school must have an up-to-date register of children with asthma.
- All students with asthma must have an individual asthma care plan.
- The school must have access to an emergency asthma kit and can evidence that it is regularly checked.
- Asthma training should be taken up by the whole school, free training is available here: Supporting Children’s Health and Young People with Asthma (educationforhealth.org).
Our children are exposed to different types of triggers for Asthma every day, some of which could be fatal. All children with asthma must have an individual annual asthma care plan which is completed by the child’s GP/asthma nurse/asthma specialist and a copy should be shared with the school. A sample asthma plan can be found at the Asthma UK website. Please share this message with parents, and encourage them to check if their children have an asthma plan; if not make sure they contact their GP/Asthma nurse to ensure their child has an annual plan.
Schools are also recommended to have a named ‘Asthma Champion’ who is a named individual responsible for being the lead for asthma in the school. They would act as the designated contact for asthma related issues and would help to ensure that the school meets the Asthma Friendly Schools standard. Please contact Jane Stannard, Schools Engagement Coordinator via email@example.com if you would like more information.
If you have any questions and need clarification on any of the above, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information on asthma management, plus generally Supporting Pupils at School with Medical Conditions , can be found via the menu to the right and via the dedicated page.
Useful resources for asthma management as follows: