Welcome to the Suffolk Schools’ Safety, Health and Wellbeing pages.
On these pages you will find information for schools’ health and safety, and also, very importantly, on wellbeing. All the links in the menu go to a specific topic page and you will hopefully find relevant information for your needs. If you have any ideas or thoughts about these webpages, please contact:
Antonina (Nina) Bickerton – CYP and Suffolk (maintained) Schools’ Safety, Health and Wellbeing Advisor, Suffolk County Council: Email: [email protected].
Please see our Safety, Health and Wellbeing Privacy Notice.
- UPDATE OF INFORMATION: LETTERS TO SCHOOLS AND PARENTS REGARDING SCARLET FEVER AND ASSOCIATED INFECTIONS: Letter to parents 9 December 2012; Letter to Parents 12 December 2022 – Signposting to ‘Use the right services for your needs this winter”; Letter to Headteachers / Schools FAQs – Group A Strep and Scarlet Fever
- 7 December 2022 – new document outlining support for maintained school staff with regard to mental ill-health, stress at work, trauma and general wellbeing
- 6 December 2022 – PLEASE READ this NSFT Alert regarding Group A streptococcal infections in children – gives symptoms and actions.
- 28 November 2022– Please read this article about minibus licences and tests for school staff.
- 25 November 2022 – CO2 monitors and aircleaning units. IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR YOUR ACTION from the DfE about CO2 monitors and applications from schools for DfE funded air cleaning units. PLEASE read as this is your chance to manage both the ventilation in your school, and the transmission of airborne illnesses like Covid or flu. Ventilation also aids concentration and alertness.
- 14 November 2022 – UPDATED letter to all schools on closure due to severe weather – 2022 / 23
- 14 November 2022 – Reviewed Suffolk Councty Council over-arching SHaW Policy – three parts – please update your own records
- 9 November 2022 – Reviewed Schools’ Guide to SHaW Policies and the 9 Term Plan, and a new Example Template for a Risk Register. PLEASE READ AND USE!!!
- 8 November 2022 – UPDATED SHaW Responsibilities for Educational Settings – PLEASE READ
- 4 November 2022 – Health and Safety Executive Inspections of Asbestos Management in Schools – PLEASE READ
- 26 October 2022 – Updated guidance on Critical Incidents including new contact numbers for LA Officers
- 25 October 2022 – Beat Eating Disorder Charity – new training via SPOT for all educational settings – FREE resources. Please see the Supporting Pupils at School with Medical Conditions page for more details
- 18 October 2022 – new round of SHaW Audits need to be undertaken by maintained schools – see the Audit and Inspection page and Headlines on 1 November for more details.
- 9 Oct 22 – Poultry to be kept indoors in parts of Suffolk to prevent the spread of bird flu.
- 7 Oct 22 – New incidents of bird flu in Suffolk. Any school that holds birds should follow the government guidance on bird flu on how to spot it, what to do if you suspect it, and measures to prevent it. Please also see the disease control zones currently in place.