Playground safety and inspections
To keep children safe it is important to ensure that playground equipment is checked regularly both by local staff and by a qualified and competent inspector.
IMPORTANT MESSAGE, MARCH 2023 – PLEASE ENSURE YOU FAMILIARISE YOURSELVES WITH THE FOLLOWING GUIDANCE. THERE WILL BE AN EMAIL ALERT FROM YOUR SHaW ADVISOR REGARDING PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT INSPECTIONS BEFORE THE EASTER HOLIDAYS 2023. THIS WILL REQUIRE A REPONSE FROM ALL LA MAINTAINED SCHOOLS.
- Playground and PE equipment inspection guidance (2022) – Suffolk County Council guidance on the types of inspections, frequency, and how to ensure your inspector is competent and qualified.
PE safety including equipment inspections
- Please follow the above Playground and PE equipment inspection guidance for the types and frequency of checking PE equipment.
- The Association for Physical Education has resources available on their website including information about inspections and maintenance of PE equipment. As a member you also get access to further health and safety information and resources.
Nina Bickerton is a member on behalf of maintained schools, so please contact her about information you may require.
Non-maintained schools need to become a member in their own right.
- See the HSE guidance for Swimming Pool Management, if your school has a swimming pool.
National Sports bodies guidance and resources
- Football – FA Heading Guidance by age group – Feb 2020
- Rugby Union – including ‘Rugby Safe’.
- British Gymnastics – their health and safety page.
- Swim England – a link to all their safety articles on their website.