Suffolk Libraries’ inaugural Power of Libraries Conference takes place at Kesgrave War Memorial Conference Centre on Thursday 21 of March 2024.
This free conference is open to all school staff with an interest in developing a culture of reading for pleasure. It is also for school librarians, English leads and leaders looking to invest in their school library and make connections with Suffolk Libraries.
The conference is divided into three parts:
- Part one will be the keynote address from Nikki Gamble. Nikki is a lecturer, writer and literary consultant specialising in children’s literature.
- Part two will allow attendees to choose between several workshops around reading, books and libraries from experts in their fields. These will be inspiring and filled with suggestions and ideas to take back to school.
- The last part of the afternoon features a talk from local children’s author, Dominique Valente. She is the author of the Starfell series published by Harper Collins.
Booking is essential and can be done via this online form. Please book before 15 March. For more information please contact Erin Hamilton, Children’s Librarian for Suffolk Libraries at [email protected]
Suffolk Libraries also launched a new Schools Programme in October. Packs have been sent to schools which include more information on:
- How the library service can help young children get ready for starting school.
- Curated booklists for schools which help to support the curriculum.
- A special teacher’s library card to allow teachers to borrow more books.
- Ideas to help schools engage with their local library through interactive school visits and other activities.
- Work experience and Duke of Edinburgh’s opportunities in libraries and the relaunch of a Youth Council for young people in Suffolk.
If you would like more information or to request another pack please contact [email protected]